Below is a summary from the most recent CORE meeting. For past meeting minutes, please see the Meeting Minutes Archive page.
Flathead CORE Full Meeting Notes, 3_20_2019 – here are just some of the events that CORE participants mentioned at the meeting. Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions about an event.
Spring events (some are already posted on www.flatheadcore.org):
- Forestry Expo, May 6thweek – it has more schools participating this year than every before. Many CORE participants help with this.
- Libby Dam – teacher workshop and a raptor day coming up in May.
- Earth Day event at Whitefish Middle School, April 27- Many CORE participants help with this.
- Arbor Day, April 26 – Woodland Park for 3rdgraders, District 5.
- Arbor Day, May 3, River’s Edge Park, Columbia Falls 5th
- Flathead Lake Bio Station – doing small events with different schools this spring rather than a big event. All the spots are already filled.
- Artist Wilderness Connection – Artist from the state of MN is creating a unit on trees and journaling and he is doing a teacher workshop, Thursday, April 4. It is on PIRnet and Kathy Martin has the information about it and will send it to us to put on the website.
- “Connect to Kalispell” Event at Lone Pine State Park – Friday, March 22, 6-8 p.m.
- Flathead Audubon, Tally Lake overnight campout first weekend in June at group campground.
- Glacier Bioblitzes – A June mushroom one and a weed blitz later in July. Keep an eye out.
- Science and History Day at St. Mary VC in Glacier NP, Tuesday, July 23.
- STEAM teacher workshop on June 13-15, at Glacier Institute Field Camp, is fully funded by the Glacier National Park Conservancy. It is looking at landscape changes and documenting them.
- National Kids to Parks Day, May 18 – Lone Pine State Park is planning an event. Check their website. Glacier NP is not having an event, but other national parks around the nation are having events.
- Green Drinks – Citizens for a Better Flathead and Climate Smart Glacier Country are having an event on March 28, at the Kalispell Brewing Company. The program is on conserving agricultural lands in the Flathead, by Ron DeYong, MT Dept. of Agriculture.
- Montana Audubon Birding Festival, June 7-9 in Glasgow.
“Round Robin” news from some of the people present:
- CORE Trunk Workshop – There are some new trunks now at Hockaday, Flathead Lake Bio Station, and Flathead Audubon. We need to market our products better as many teachers do not know about our services. October 17, 2019 at Lone Pine would be the traditional time and location for the CORE trunk workshop.
- Geotourism map is free for teachers and has a lot of information on heritage and other place-based topics.
- Flathead Conservation District – Natural Resource Based summer camp has openings and can find out information on their website. Demonstration garden is being worked on and should be open this summer. Working with city of Kalispell for a rain garden initiative.
The spring meeting, had been scheduled for May 22, 2019 at the Flathead Conservation District Office, 133 Interstate Lane, Kalispell, from 3:30 – 5 p.m.